UH Online 5-Week Professional Development (2018-2021)
Note: This program has been expanded to include other designations (e.g. 5 weeks, 8 weeks, Early College) and has been renamed as the UH Online Professional Development: Reimagining Online Learning.
This award-winning, flagship professional development program launched in 2018 to support the University of Hawaiʻi’s desire to increase flexible opportunities for residents to earn a college degree while working and raising their families. Faculty interested in redesigning or developing a new course into an accelerated format that aligns with quality standards for working adults are provided with instructional design support and opportunities to network and collaborate with peers.
Thank you again, this was such a great experience. All instructors should be taking this course!!!
Wow, I am thoroughly impressed with the level of organization of the online materials. I know that should be standard, but not all classes have presented such detail -- coming from a self-diagnosed OCD, it's appreciated.
UH 5-Week Student to Instructor
This course has also reignited my passion for teaching. I was able to pick up new tools to add to my teaching "tool box". As a student, I was treated respectfully and I always felt that my opinions had value.
I have seen a shift in my attitude towards my students because of my positive experience in the 5 week PD. I find myself reaching out more and taking opportunities to encourage my students. I'm sharing my experience so that you know how far reaching this course has been and how much your efforts are appreciated.
E lawe i ke a‘o a mālama, a e ‘oi mau ka na‘auao. He who takes his teachings and applies them increases his knowledge. (Pukui, #328)
2021 UH Online Professional Development Schedule
- October 22, 2020: Application available.
- November 30, 2020: Application due.
- December 18, 2020: Applicants notified of acceptance.
- STEP 1: Prior to March 19, 2021: Complete Applying the Quality Matters Rubric online workshop (prerequisite).
- STEP 2: Prior to April 1, 2021: Complete the Preparing to Teach Online at UH module (prerequisite).
- STEP 3: May 24 – June 29, 2021: Complete the intensive 5-week online PD blended course.
- May 25 & 28, June 1 , 4, 8, 10, 15, 18, 22 & 25: Attend the required 2-hour synchronous sessions.
- STEP 4: July – September, 2021: Complete the UH Online Quality Course Design Review.
- STEP 5: Revise online course based on feedback provided by the reviewer and complete a final review.
UH Online 5-Week Resources
These resources were developed especially for faculty teaching accelerated 5-week courses:
- Laulima Course Template
- Course Syllabus Template
- Course Map Template
- Shared Knowledge Database
UH Online 5-Week Cohorts
Frequently Asked Questions
These FAQs were created for faculty teaching accelerated 5-week courses. Please note that this is a working document and the content continues to be revised based upon most recent updates.