H5P I Mua Program
Updates & Resources
7/18/23: Hoʻomaikaʻi to our incoming 2023-2024 H5P I Mua participants! This group of experienced H5P + Laulima alumni spend the academic year leveraging H5P to improve the quality of online education, promoting its use as a teaching tool, and mentor/support other UH H5P program participants. We’re excited to see what’s in store for this coming year!
Quicklinks & Resources
- Quicklinks (Google Sheets): Access frequently used documents, technical support resources, and pilot participant list here (cohort access only)
- UH H5P Faculty Guide (Google Doc): Get step-by-step instructions on commonly used “how-to’s”
- UH H5P FAQs (Google Doc): Check this document for new or updated Q&A
About the Program
What is the H5P I Mua Program?
H5P is an authoring tool that lets you create simple interactive content and activities like interactive videos, quizzes, games, presentations, and more. In 2021, University of Hawaiʻi created the H5P + Laulima program for new participants. With the continued growth and expansion of the UH H5P programs and pathways, there was a desire for an opportunity that allowed those who wanted to continue their involvement with UH H5P in a deeper capacity.
In 2023, the H5P I Mua program was created to allow alumni participants who successfully completed the H5P + Laulima cohort program to “i mua.” or move forward. The naming of the program aligns with the intention for alumni to advance forward and continue leveraging H5P, while also serving as a mentor and advocate for the UH H5P initiatives. This small hui (group) will each create personalized action plans to support and advocate for UH H5P programs and pathways in their new capacity as H5P I Mua participants.
Program Goals and Outcomes
Faculty/Staff across the UH system who have successfully completed the H5P + Laulima cohort program are invited to apply for the new H5P I Mua program, which provides participants with a UH H5P license in exchange for completion of program requirements. Program criteria, timeline, and expectations are shared below. Program participants will customize their individual contributions as part of the H5P I Mua program with the creation of a Personalized Action Plan in order to achieve the following program goals and outcomes:
- Actively support and encourage/maintain engagement within the H5P + Laulima community (Google Groups).
- Promote H5P as a teaching tool to improve quality of online education (e.g., alignment to CLOs/online education standards, student engagement, assessment, etc.).
- Ensure effectiveness/value of H5P as a teaching and learning tool.
- Contribute to the UH H5P programs and pathways through completion of the individual personalized I Mua action plan.
Who is this program for?
- Participants who have successfully completed the H5P + Laulima cohort program.
- Faculty/staff with a genuine interest in sharing H5P experiences with colleagues across the UH System.
- Advocates of UH H5P as a tool to support student engagement, active learning, etc.
Benefits of Participating
- 1-year access to UH H5P License (with option to extend based on successful completion of program criteria).
- Professional Development (digital badge if specific criteria are met).
- Maintain access to the UH H5P + Laulima Community (Google Group).
- Network and engage with colleagues across the UH system.
- Stay updated with the latest H5P.com features and trends.
- Recognition on the UH H5P website (name, campus, department/subject area, optional photo).
Looking for a different UH H5P program?
View a high level summary of personalized UH H5P offerings for faculty/staff, which are also located under Programs from the main menu bar.
H5P + Laulima Program Feedback
I was excited to see how [H5P] could make my asynchronous course more engaging for the students. It was wonderful to easily embed the interactives in Laulima Lessons and linked with Laulima Gradebook.
This was such a great addition to my lab. I had already provided videos, images and websites to help students study Anatomy structures. But this was a much more active learning process for them that they found fun, easy to use and helpful in remembering structures. With the interactives, I was quickly able to assess studentʻs learning or participation. Previously, I would do reflection papers or some other type of reflection about learning on a certain topic to assess the students. These interactives saved both the student and me time and gave me data about a focused topic.
H5P activities seamlessly added a level of engagement to my online courses that did not exist before. I really hope that UH will subscribe to H5P for the long-term and that all faculty would have the opportunity to utilize H5P. Thank you for having this pilot!
Before using H5P I had a challenge in helping my physiology student study for anatomical structures since moving online. They no longer were able to go in person to study. So this was a great solution. Having a H5P activity that provided kinesthetic learning in addition to the traditional lecture and reading was much appreciated by students.
Having access to so many interactives made my courses fun for me (and hopefully, my students). I was looking for a way to gamify some aspects of the course to increase engagement and I think I succeeded!
I can place the interactives strategically in Laulima exactly when and where it is most useful. It’s also helpful for visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners. Students have mentioned they found them engaging and useful.
In the analytics H5P provides, I can see that in many cases students engage in multiple attempts to complete the tasks in the interactives. This is great considering that aspects of language acquisition, like vocabulary, require multiple exposures to words in a wide variety of contexts.
My goal was to help increase student engagement with the video lectures I provide for them. H5P allowed me to explore a variety of methods to accomplish this. 😀
Pack your patience! That’s my advice with anyone new to H5P. There were lots of boxes to check or uncheck, so many options and it was easy to get overwhelmed at first.. However, once you get the hang of it, it is sooooooo cool!
Students did better on quizzes and projects because the H5P interactives allowed students to practice what they learned and provided "scaffolding" type of preparation for assignments.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
These FAQs (Google Doc) were created for UH faculty/staff interested in joining one of the UH H5P Programs or Pathways. Please note that this is a working document and the content continues to be revised based upon the most recent updates.
2023-2024 H5P I Mua Program Participants
Applications are underway for the 2023-2024 cohort. Accepted participants will be announced in early June.
The following faculty and staff from across the UH system have volunteered to participate as part of the 2023-2024 H5P I Mua program!