Student Support

Academic Advising

The University of Hawaiʻi System offers a large range of academic counseling/advising services. You are encouraged to contact the specific school or college, for which you expect to earn your degree, to find out the specific advising services that are available to you.

You can schedule an appointment with your counselor/advisor for assistance in planning your schedule to meet the graduation requirements for your major and for help with transfer planning using STAR Balance, an online platform that allows current UH students to use STAR to schedule virtual appointments with faculty and advisors. These appointments will appear on faculty/staff and student Google Calendars.

Career Services

Career Services provides a variety of resources to assist you from the beginning to the end of your academic journey. Whether you are choosing a major, looking for an internship, thinking about graduate school, seeking advice on interviews or resumes, or looking for a full-time job, Career Service Specialists are available to meet with you individually to discuss your career concerns. Contact your home campus career center for services available to you. The home campus is the campus you plan to earn your degree.

Counseling Services

Counseling services complement the academic mission by assisting students' personal and educational development through short-term counseling, consultation, educational outreach, and referrals. Contact your home campus counseling center for services available to you. The home campus is the campus you plan to earn your degree.

Financial Aid

Students enrolled in UH Online programs must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility for all financial aid.

You must be enrolled in and attending at least 6 credits to be eligible for most types of financial aid. Disbursements of financial aid may be delayed until you have started courses that commence later in the semester and your enrollment becomes half-time (minimum 6 credits) or three-quarter-time (minimum 9 credits) for the semester. Other factors that affect financial aid status is whether you are a full-time or part-time student and whether your courses are applicable ones in your degree or certificate program.

Also, any changes to enrollment may result in a change to your financial aid eligibility. This includes:

  • Decreases or increases in enrolled credit hours (e.g., full-time or part-time status)
  • Nonattendance in a class or unofficial withdrawal
  • Official withdrawal

If any of these occur, you may be asked to return the money you have already received, and/or may not receive future disbursements of money you are expecting.

For more information and assistance, contact your home campus' financial aid office. The home campus is the campus you plan to earn your degree.


Students register for courses by accessing the STAR GPS Registration System. In order to register, you will need to have a UH Username and Password. After being admitted as a UH student and setting up your UH Username, you will be able to access the online registration system directly or through MyUH. You can search for your course through STAR or the DL Course Listing. Meet with your College or School Academic Advisors to help with academic planning, course selection, and approvals for registration (e.g., time conflict, credit overload, registration changes). To learn how to register in STAR GPS, visit the STAR Help website.

Student Basic Needs

To access a list of on-campus resources and those available in the surrounding community for basic needs (e.g., food, housing, clothing, childcare, mental health, financial, and transportation), visit the Basic Needs website.


Booklist information is available three weeks before classes begin and textbooks may be purchased through the host campus bookstore website. The host campus is the campus offering the course. Textbooks may be purchased at the UH Hilo bookstore for Hawaiʻi Community College classes.

TXT0 Classes

Online classes with the TXT0 designation indicate that students will not be required to pay for any course learning materials such as textbooks, readings, workbooks, lab manuals, online homework/quizzing platforms, required printing, or other content.

To find out more about TXT0 classes visit the following links

University Centers

The University Centers on the islands of Maui, Kauaʻi, and Hawaiʻi provide access to certificate, bachelor, and graduate degree programs offered by other UH campuses through distance learning and provide student support to students enrolled in distance learning and online programs.